Friday, May 15, 2015

Can you be big enough?

Let me give you an example:
Every week, at my workplace (a publicly traded company), someone writes a Bible verse on a public white board in the main hallway. This is allowed and accepted, despite laws separating the workplace and religion.

If I were to express the offense I feel** at seeing this, I would be ridiculed and ostracized. If I wrote on that same white board--not obfuscating the Bible verse--a verse from some text I happened to believe in, it would likely be erased, or if not, quite a row would result.

This is because Christianity is the 'popular' choice here (where I live and work), and people are too ignorant to accept that different points of view and beliefs exist. "Not Christian" is equivalent to "Evil" in their small minds.

The point is: It's hard to express a non-popular opinion. At our American core, we all say we support free speech, but it's very hard to accept (or support or defend) the speech of those with whom we disagree, especially when it rubs us to an emotional rawness. Most are not intelligent or cognizant enough to understand, let alone embrace and realize, the distinction, or the importance that the distinction exist in the first place.

So what's the message? If you find yourself offended, angry, in a sense of outrage, etc., can you be big enough to view the situation objectively and be true to the principles?



**This is for discussion only. I actually take no offense at others expressing their religious viewpoints; I DO take offense at those attempting to force their viewpoints on me, or those who would demean my expression of my religious viewpoints.

No comments: