Sunday, August 25, 2013

Why I'm Through with Digital Juice


I have spent thousands of dollars over the past several years with Digital Juice. My studio shelves are overflowing with DJ’s software products. I have gear bags and reflectors and lights and C-stands and flags and greenscreens and more from them, and I like and use this gear regularly. In fact HERE’S my list, copied from their site.

However, I think I’m done buying from Digital Juice. I’ve gone from being a strong advocate for them to recommending against them. The reasons are many, gradual and intertwined.

Point Number One: Devolving Content
Early on (c. 2006), Digital Juice offered wonderful tutorials and videos about filmmaking, with several great contributors, like Perry Jenkins, D. Eric Franks, Jeff Earley and Chuck Peters. (These great episodes are (as of this writing) still available at digitaljuice.com/djtv. You should check them out while they’re still available.) Even Rick Green was worth watching. Their videos since have shifted to tutorials for their products (nothing wrong with that) and purely promotional pieces. (And don’t get me started on Trevor Haugen.)

Point Number Two: The Juicer
A long-time beef of mine with Digital Juice has been over the Juicer. Nearly all their software products are designed to work through the Juicer, and some even require it (e.g. DJ Fonts). The Juicer has always been the weakest link in their offering. It’s slow, cumbersome and temperamental, with an outdated interface that doesn’t comply with convention. It could have been a wonderful, all-encompassing tool for managing digital content, but DJ didn’t develop it to that point. Instead, they kept it proprietary and limited. (I asked repeatedly for the ability to add my own keywords, to no avail.)

Point Number Three: Iffy Customer Relations
My experiences with DJ’s customer service have been outstandingly positive and questionable. There seems to be no middle ground. In one case, a Fresnel lens cracked on one of my DJ Helios lights. I inquired if the standard Arri sizes were a direct replacement. DJ replied without answering my question, but offered to replace the broken lens, and made good on that offer. In another case, a software product (on DVD) didn’t work due to obvious, visible defects in the DVD’s manufacture. DJ refused to help as it had been more than 30 days since the purchase date. Silly me for buying a multi-disc, post-production graphical software product that I didn’t use and fully test for functionality within 30 days.

Point Number Four: Pricing Practices
Twice, I’ve purchased Digital Juice products shortly after their introductions, at ‘early adopter’ pricing, only to find the prices reduced about a week later. This drove me to never buy a DJ product upon its first introduction. Though this one bit me twice  I will say that DJ stepped up and granted refunds for the difference each time. Only once I asked.

Point Number Five: Degrading Quality over Time
I bought four C-stands when they offered the chrome, solid version; they then changed it to black, with inferior hardware. I bought LED lights when they offered them from Prompter People; then they re-packaged it with a plastic housing (vs. aluminum). On the media content side, the early products from DJ (JuiceDrops, StackTraxx, etc.) were packaged in sturdy, rigid covers that continue to hold up well over time. They switched to very flimsy packaging originating in India (based on the little paper flags that fall on the floor when you open their products). I have continued to wonder where their products are developed and produced; in supporting Digital Juice, based in Florida, have I been sending my money overseas?

Point Number Six: I’m Stuck
DJ’s license agreement prohibits anyone from re-selling the media products purchased from them, even if it’s the original physical product. This is quite different than the music world, for example, where you can buy and sell used CDs, DVDs, etc. so long as you’re not selling illegal copies. DJ’s license agreement means I can’t sell the original packaged product I bought from them, despite it being of no use to me any more. They’re within their rights here, but that doesn’t mean I have to be happy about it. Even if I have a duplicate, I can’t sell the duplicate.

Point Number Seven: Outright Thievery?
The latest product offering is “Drag & Drop,” and is very, very similar to products offered over the past few years by Rampant Design Tools. Scary similar. To make matters worse, when I (and others) posted politely and factually about this on DJ's forum, they deleted the posts. For a company to be so insecure that they can’t tolerate discussion of their competitors’ products is sad; for that company to delete legitimate, non-critical posts comparing their competitor’s products is community-destroying.

No one of the above points was enough to prompt me to action. Taken together, however, they are. I’m moving on. My Digital Juice buying days are over.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great Post... and I agree. I used to love them. Now - a different story. Being caught with the Rampant product in the Drag and Drop, and deleting the forums due to "software issues" is a joke.

Unknown said...

What have you found to replace them? I've been looking around now that they are going to subscription, but haven't found much.

Anji said...

I too, have been a long time customer of DJ products. I was there when they first started out, although I do not buy frequently I do buy.. I have also noted the degradation in quality and service.
I left them alone for a while and came upon Rampant design myself and thought that some of the products were similar. Viewing the You Tube video confirmed what i was thinking.
Now with the new DJ style of buying video products I am totally over them too.
for a long time I have been blaming Windows for why my Juicer kept crashing...Now I know it was NOT Windows.
So they too get the loss of another customer...i am so disgusted. Isn't there anything that RDT can do legally? Or would that cost too much? Maybe a Crowdfund may help?

Thanks for highlighting this to me.. it was as I was thinking...

Jason Dunn said...

I found this post when my Digital Juice product listing on eBay was pulled because I was apparently violating their software agreement. I've had this kit sitting on my shelf for three years, never using it, so I thought someone else could get some use out of it...and it gets pulled. That's ridiculous. I'm supposed to...throw it in the trash? That seems like a waste on every level. This is what they want?

When I did use their product, I agree, the Juicer software really, really sucked.