Saturday, April 12, 2008

Lake Placid Litterbugs

Location: Lake Placid, New York

The town of Lake Placid does a really nice job keeping things clean, even during this early April mud season. There's very little litter and debris in the corners, alleys and gutters, and a plethora of public ashtrays and cigarette receptacles at shop entrances. I noticed several people using these receptacles to dispose of their cigarettes. This attention by the town and most people here makes exceptions stand out all the more.

While walking across a municipal parking lot (adjacent to the Olympic arena), a group of three young women were preparing to enter their black Toyota with Connecticut plate KVAS. One discarded a lit cigarette directly in front of me as I walked by.

I picked up the butt and handed it back to her. My exact words: "There are plenty of ashtrays and places to properly dispose of this without littering."

For my citizenship, I was called names, sworn at and shown a middle finger as they drove off.

No comments: